Here’s my Six Tips for engaging with social media - or 'blogger relations' as you might call it. I assume you've already identified a recent post that is relevant to your company or client:
- Read the authors’ previous posts – go back months if not years if you can. Get a feel for their stance on things and their style
- Be transparent – comment using your own name and work email address and say who you are and where you come from
- Consider indicating your familiarity with the particular authors’ work by referencing a previous post
- Make your point diplomatically – perhaps in the form of advice or a suggestion rather than a statement or instruction
- Continue to monitor for follow-on comments and prepare to stay in the ‘conversation’ – do not disappear
- If you’re nervous you could consider emailing or phoning the author before commenting
My Six Tips pages are quick guides to getting better media coverage. For more detailed advice, check out our whitepapers for PR professionals.